HEBREW EDUCATIONAL SOCIETY © Copyright 2023 by H.E.S.
Swim Class Levels
Interested in finding the approrpriate group swim class level?
There are Parent & Me and Pre School swim classes. In addition, 6 Learn to Swim levels. Each of the descriptions below indicate what each level will accomplish and master. Please read the descriptions and determine what is the appropriate level. Classes are available for both youth and adults.
Level 1 (Beginner Foundations)
- Enter & exit water ladder/side
- Comfortable in the water
- Blowing bubbles, 3 – 5 seconds
- Bobbing, 3 – 5 times
- Fully submerge, 5 seconds
- Assisted front float, 5 seconds, using the wall
- Unassisted front float, 3 – 5 seconds
- Front glide & recover, 2 body lengths
- Freestyle kick, sitting down
- Assisted freestyle kick, using the wall, head submerged 3 – 5 seconds
- Streamline freestyle kick, 5 – 10 ft.
- Assisted Back float, 3 – 5 seconds
Level 2 (Beginner 2)
- Unassisted Freestyle kick, 10 – 15 ft.
- Freestyle single arm stroke, right and left
- Alternating freestyle arms w/board, 10 ft.
- Unassisted alternating arms, 10 ft.
- Unassisted Back float, 5 seconds
- Back glide, 5 – 10 ft.
- Backstroke kick, assisted w/board, 10 ft.
- Jumping feet first
- Kneeling dive
Level 3 (Beginner/Intermediate)
- Unassisted Freestyle kick, pool length
- Alternating Freestyle arms
- Roll from front to back & back to front
- Introduction of Elementary Backstroke
- Introduction of treading water
- Standing dive, from the floor
- Jumping feet first, from the starting block
Level 4 (Intermediate)
- Freestyle, pool length
- Backstroke, pool length
- Breaststroke kick, w/board, half pool
- Breaststroke pull
- Tread water for 30 seconds
- Object retrieval, 5 – 7ft. Deep
- Completing the standing dive correctly
Level 5 (Intermediate/Advanced)
- Freestyle, 2 pool lengths
- Backstroke, 2 pool lengths
- Breaststroke, length of the pool
- Butterfly kick, half pool
- Butterfly single-arm, half pool
- Tread water, 1 minute
- Dive from the starting block
- Object retrieval, 7 – 8 ft. deep
Level 6 (Advanced)
- Freestyle, 4 pool lengths
- Backstroke, 4 pool lengths
- Breaststroke, 2 pool lengths
- Butterfly kick, length of the pool
- Butterfly, length of the pool
- Different Stroke Turns
- Introduction of Freestyle flip turn
- Tread water, 2 minutes
- Diving starts off the block
- Object retrieval, 9 – 10 ft. deep
For more Aquatics information by phone, call (718) 241-3000 ext. 137 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Need assistance becoming a member or registering? Check out our Registration Assistance page or contact HES Registration by calling (718) 241-3000 ext. 131.
Group Swim Class Schedule
Find the right class level, age and swim class times that work for your schedule.Click Here